You are viewing the website for the aac-rerc, which was funded by NIDRR from 2008-2013.
For information on the new RERC on AAC, funded by NIDILRR from 2014-2019, please visit rerc-aac.psu.edu.
Student Design Project
Tom Jakobs (Invotek, Inc.)
Kevin Caves (Duke University)
Designing devices accessible to people with disabilities requires that engineers have an awareness not taught in typical engineering classes. This project offers engineering students an opportunity to apply their skills to real-world challenges for people with disabilities, with a focus on communication needs.
• Build disability awareness within the engineering community
• Encourage engineering students to address the needs of people with disabilities
• Measure impact
• Provide examples of engineering projects that met the needs of a person with disabilities
• Offer new project ideas
• Develop class support materials for students and professors
• Offer email engineering support to students undertaking projects
• Monitor website activity and develop surveys to assist in measuring impact
RESNA Student Design Competition